Good things are happening with ACEC’s Future Leaders Network.
“The Future Leaders Network (FLN) unites young leaders from provincial and territorial Member Organization groups across Canada. With representation spanning from coast to coast in all provinces and territories, the FLN is an excellent forum to facilitate communication and info-sharing between provinces. Recognizing each region has their own set of unique challenges and goals, the focus of the group is to share best practices, lessons learned, and to connect individuals to strengthen communication amongst future leaders from coast to coast. The FLN is comprised of a group of diverse professionals who are the future leaders of the Canadian consulting engineering industry. Through continuous collaboration, the FLN unites as one voice providing guidance and recommendation to ACEC regarding issues that affect young professionals while promoting ACEC and its activities across Canada.” – Aaron Ferguson, P.Eng., P.E., Chair of the ACEC Future Leaders Network 2021-2023
FLN: A Pan-Canadian Network
The ACEC-FLN is a network of future leader groups located across Canada. The first provincial ACEC future leader group was established in Alberta in 2005, since that time groups in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick emerged and thrived. Newer groups in the Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, and PEI have now been established and continue to grow.
The FLN will unite and strengthen the future leaders network across Canada by promoting best practices and leadership while also creating a network of cross-disciplined and diverse engineers who will be the future leaders of the Canadian consulting engineering industry.
- To create a forum allowing Future Leaders Groups from across Canada to share ideas and best practices.
- To serve as the voice of future leaders to ACEC.
- To promote ACEC and its activities to future leaders across Canada.
- To provide leadership and guidance for the development of new provincial Future Leaders Groups across Canada.
- To support existing Future Leaders groups to meet their objectives.
- To advise and provide recommendations to ACEC-Canada staff regarding the ACEC Future Leaders Forum program.
The FLN meet quarterly to work towards these objectives.
What Future Leaders Groups Do
Future Leaders groups are directed towards Young Professionals that work at ACEC member firms. These groups host a variety of professional development seminars and networking events to develop the business skills necessary to succeed in the consulting industry.
The objectives of the groups are:
- To promote a better understanding of the function, role and business of ACEC Member Organizations.
- To understand, promote and grow relationships between clients and consultants.
- To create a cross discipline network of Future Leaders within the engineering consulting industry.
- To promote mentoring opportunities.
- To interact with similar Future Leaders organizations within other industries to help promote consulting engineering, exchange ideas, and identify mutually beneficial opportunities.
- To advocate on behalf of Future Leaders to promote their interests within the consulting engineering industry.
- To increase awareness of ACEC Member Organizations and consulting engineering to stakeholders and the general public.
- To support a dynamic working environment.
- To promote involvement in various ACEC Member Organization committees and at events.
How to join
The ACEC Future Leaders Network (FLN) is comprised of one elected representative (or co-representatives) from each ACEC Provincial and Territorial Members Organizations (MO). Each MO elects an individual within their own provincial or territorial Future Leaders network to join the ACEC FLN. You must be currently employed within a member firm and be part of your MO’s Future Leaders network to be eligible for election into the ACEC FLN.
For more information on ACEC's Future Leaders Network, contact Communications Manager, Leanne Plamondon at email@example.com.