Good things are happening with ACEC’s Young Professionals Network.
“The Young Professionals Network (YPN) unites young professionals from provincial and territorial Member Organization YP groups across Canada. With representation spanning from coast to coast, the YPN is an excellent forum to facilitate collaboration and sharing of ideas and best practices, while appreciating that each region has unique goals and challenges. The YPN serves as the voice of YPs, providing guidance and recommendation to ACEC regarding issues that affect young professionals and promoting ACEC and its activities across Canada. The YPN is comprised of a group of diverse professionals who are the future leaders of the Canadian consulting engineering industry.” - Tia Hill, P.Eng., Chair of the ACEC Young Professionals Network 2019-2021
YPN: A Pan-Canadian Network
The ACEC-YPN is a network of YP groups located across Canada. The first provincial ACEC YP group was established in Alberta in 2005, since that time YP groups in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick emerged and thrived. Newer YP groups in the Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, and PEI have now been established and continue to grow.
The YPN will unite and strengthen the YP network across Canada by promoting best practices and leadership while also creating a network of cross-disciplined and diverse engineers who will be the future leaders of the Canadian consulting engineering industry.
- To create a forum allowing YP Groups from across Canada to share ideas and best practices.
- To serve as the voice of YPs to ACEC.
- To promote ACEC and its activities to YPs across Canada.
- To provide leadership and guidance for the development of new provincial YP Groups across Canada.
- To support existing YP groups to meet their objectives.
- To advise and provide recommendations to ACEC-Canada staff regarding the ACEC Young Professionals (YP) Forum program.
The YPN meet quarterly to work towards these objectives.
What YP Groups Do
YP groups are directed towards Young Professionals that work at ACEC member firms. YP groups host a variety of professional development seminars and networking events to develop the business skills necessary to succeed in the consulting industry.
The objectives of the YP groups are:
- To promote a better understanding of the function, role and business of ACEC Member Organizations.
- To understand, promote and grow relationships between clients and consultants.
- To create a cross discipline network of young professionals within the engineering consulting industry.
- To promote mentoring opportunities.
- To interact with similar YP organizations within other industries to help promote consulting engineering, exchange ideas, and identify mutually beneficial opportunities.
- To advocate on behalf of YPs to promote their interests within the consulting engineering industry.
- To increase awareness of ACEC Member Organizations and consulting engineering to stakeholders and the general public.
- To support a dynamic working environment.
- To promote involvement in various ACEC Member Organization committees and at events.
How to join
The ACEC Young Professionals Network (YPN) is comprised of one elected representative (or co-representatives) from each ACEC Provincial and Territorial Members Organizations (MO). Each MO elects an individual within their own provincial or territorial YP network to join the ACEC YPN. You must be currently employed within a member firm and be part of your MO’s YP network to be eligible for election into the ACEC YPN.
Download this information in PDF
For more information on ACEC's Young Professionals Network, contact Communications Manager, Leanne Plamondon at firstname.lastname@example.org.